Mm Local is a local company that is apparent starting a pre-canned food product buying club! Amazing! I haven’t figured out yet if it’s a good deal, but if you’re not into canning and preserving your own food this is an awesome way to get someone to do it for you and not pay too much more than the ingredients and cost of canning equipment and this stuff is virtually guaranteed to be safely canned too! Tomatoes are supposed to be hard to can at high altitude (i.e. where I live) without a pressure cooker/canner.
Instead of canning tomatoes, I’ve been roasting them in the oven and then freezing them. Mm, roasted tomatoes!
Here’s my recipe:
- halve small tomatoes across their equator, as if the stem and the belly button were the poles
- toss in a large bowl with olive oil, salt, and pepper
- place on a foil line cookie sheet, cut sides up
- roast at 225 F for 2-3 hours
- let cool to room temp, and pack into glass canning jars (a good time to re-use lids!) or tupperware
- FREEZE and eat/defrost as needed